Dr. Bijaya Pant
Biotechnology & Biochemistry
My research interest is focused on various aspects of plant tissue culture:
- Meristem culture and production of virus free plants
· Development of micropropagation technologies for rare threatened and endangered plant species
· Selection of genetically superior cell lines for various economically important plant species
· Genetic transformation,
· Development of cell culture technologies for production of phytopharmaceuticals in high value medicinal plants.
Enhancing the production of secondary metabolites in culture, understanding molecular biology of their biosynthesis and engineering plant cells for their enhanced production are my future priorities. Germplasm conservation of Orchids and threatened species of Nepal is the ongoing research at present.
PhD in Biotechnology from Hiroshima University, Japan(1997); specialization: Plant Tissue culture.
MSc in Botany from Tribhuvan University, Nepal (1992); field of Specialization: Cytogenetics
Teaching experience: Since 1997
Research Experience: Since 1991
MSc Dissertations supervised: 30
Current PhD student: Shreeti Pradhan (2009-2012); title of dissertation: Micropropagation and domestication of some threatened medicinal orchids of Nepal.
Publications: 40 in National and International Journals
Research papers (selected):
· Pant B. 2008. Application of tissue culture for conservation of medicinal plants. In: PK Jha, SB Karmacharya, MK Chettri, CB Thapa and BB Shrestha (eds.) Medicinal plants in Nepal: An Anthology of Contemporary Research, pp. 240-245. Ecological Society (ECOS), Kathmandu Nepal.
· Pant B, S Swar and R Gurung. 2007. Current Status and ex situ conservation of threatened orchids of Nepal. In: Proceedings 9th Asia Pacific Orchid Conference 307-318, Seol, Korea.
· Poudyal BR and B Pant. 2006. Micropropagation & comparative study of chemical components of essential oils of in-vitro and in-vivo grown Mentha spicata L. Nepal Journal of Science and Technology 7, 71-75.
· Pant B and R Gurung. 2005. In vitro seed germination and seedling development in Aerides odorata Lour. The Journal of Orchid Society of India 19 (1&2): 51-55.
· Adhikari D, B Pant and M Ranjeet. 2005. Elimination of potato viruses from potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) cultivars Multa and Petronese by meristem culture and thermotherapy. Journal of Nepal Biotechnology Association 2(1):6-9.
· B Pant and SD Joshi. 2004. Current status of biotechnolgy education in Nepal. In : Proceedings of IV National Conference on Science and Technology, March 23- 26, 2004, Kathmandu. Vol. II. Pp. 1904-1909.
· Swar S and B Pant. 2004. Influence of growth regulators on asymbiotic seed germination and early seed development of Cymbidium iridioides D.Don. In Proceeding of IV National Conférence on Science and Technology, March 23- 26, 2004, Kathmandu. Vol. I. Pp. 1039-1043.
· Pant B, Y Kato, T Kumagai, T Matsuoka and M Sugiyama. 1997. Blepharismin produced by Protozoan Blepharisma,functions as an antibiotic effective against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Federation of European Microbiological Societies Letters 155: 67-71.
· Pant B, H Kohda and A Namera. 1996. Clonal propagation of Cnidium officinale by shoot tip culture. Planta Medica. 62:281-283.
Paper presentation: 44 times in national/international conferences, workshop and symposia
o Induction and rapid propagation of shoot primordial of Mentha arvensis L. var. piperascens by shoot tip culture. The 42nd Annual Meeting of the Japanese Society of Pharmacognosy, Fukuyama, Japan, Sept. (1995).
o Blepharismin, a photoreceptor pigment from Blepharisma enhances theantibacterial activity of arbekacin in MRSA. Annual meeting of the Society for Fermentation and Bioengineering, Nagoya, Japan, Sept. (1996).
o Introducing Modern Biotechnology for the Conservation and Propagation of Nepalease Orchids. An International Orchid Conference on “Conservation and Propagation of Endangered Wild Orchids of the World”, Simanami Japan, May 29 - April 6, (1999).
o Current status of tissue culture in Nepal. A country paper presented in 2nd International workshop on tissue culture of economic plants, Dhaka, Bangladesh, October 3-7, (1999).
o Nepalese orchids: Setting priorities for conservation. 7th Asia Pacific Conference (APOC 7), Nagoya, Japan March 15-17, (2001).
o Biotechnology Education in Nepal. 4th National Conference on Science and Technology (NAST) March 23-26 2004.
o Micropropagation of two highly collected orchid species Cymbidium iridioides D. Don. and Aerides odorata Lour. 8th National Seminar on orchid conservation and commercialization and orchid show. Panjab University, Chandiragh India. March 18-20, 2006.
o Current status and ex situ conservation of threatened orchids of Nepal. 9th Asia Pacific Orchid Conference Goyang City, Seoul, Korea March 16 - 19, 2007.
o Why cell culture in medicinal plants ? National Seminar on sustanable use of biological resources – Medicinal & Aromatic plants, Pokhara Nepal. April 22-23, 2007
o Research Methodology in Biotechnology. Training workshop on "Research Methodology in Natural Sciences" Central Department of Botany, September 16-23, 2008
o Tissue culture research on some orchids and medicinal plants of Nepal.Paper
presented at Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry University of Massachusetts ; North Dartmouth, MA 02747 , Boston USA September 2nd 2009.
o Conservation of threatened medicinal orchids of Nepal by tissue culture technique. 10 th Asia-Pacific Orchid Conference and the 20th China Orchid Show, Chongquing, China, March 19-24th 2010.
o In vitro synthesis of active components in some medicinal plants of Nepal'. Sixth International Conference on Plant Tissue Culture and Biotechnology 3-5 December, 2010, Dhaka Bangladesh.
Pant B and SK Ghimire. 2005. Abstract of MSc and PhD Dissertation. Central Department of Botany, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal
Awards and Scholarships:
· Rotary Yoneyama Memorial Award (Japan)
· Soroptimist International of the Americas Scholarship Award (Japan)
· Mahendra Bidhya Bhusan A class (2000).
· Dipendra Young Scientist Award by Nepal Academy of Science and
Technology, Kathmandu, Nepal (2000)
· Educational award by the Ministry of Education, Government of Nepal (2006)
Research Projects Completed:
· Ex- situ conservation of endangered and important plants of Nepal by tissue culture method (1998-2000). Funded by Office of Dean, Institute of Science and Technology, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu.
· Ex- situ conservation of some threatened orchids and medicinal plants of Nepal (2000-2001). Funded by Nepal Academy of Science and Technology (NAST), Kathmandu, Nepal
· Conservation of some commercially important plants by in vitro technology (2006/2007). Funded by University Grants Commission, Nepal.
· Ex situ conservation and analysis of phytochemicals in some important medicinal plants by in vitro technology 2009. Funded by Nepal Academy of Science and Technology (NAST), Kathmandu, Nepal.
· Mass propagationand ex situ conservation of some threatened orchids of Nepal by tissue culturetechnique. Funded by University Grants Commission, Nepal (2010-1011).
· Nepal Botanical Society
· Nepal Biotechnology Association
· Heritage Himalaya, Nepal
· Orchid Society of India
· Japan University Student Association