Dr. Bijaya Pant
Biotechnology & Biochemistry
Shreeti Pradhan (2010-2014)
Research title: Ex situ conservation and mass propagation of Cymbidium aloifolium (L.) Sw., a threatened medicinal orchid of Nepal through artificial seed technology
Mukti Ram Poudel (2012-2016)
Research Title: In vitro study and biological activates of phytochemicals in some Dendrobium species of Nepal
Binu Timsina (2011-2015):
Population Biology of medicinal orchids in Nepal.
External supervisor in Joint Research with Biodiversity Research Center, CzechGlobe Czech Academy of Sciences
Research papers (selected)
· Pant B. (2014). Application of plant cell and tissue culture for the production of phytochemicals in medicinal plants. In: R. Adhikari, S Thapa (Eds.), Infectious disease and nanomedicine II First International Conference (ICIDN-2012) Dec., Series: Advances in experimental medicine and Biology, Vol.808, pp 25-41(Springer Publication)
· Nath K., S. Kumar , R.S. Poudyal , Y. N. Yang, R. Timilsina, Y.S .Park, J. Nath , P S Chauhan, B. Pant, C. H. Lee (2013). Developmental stage-dependent differential gene expressionof superoxide dismutase isoenzymes and their localization and physical interaction network in rice (Oryza sativa L.) Genes Genom DOI 10.1007/s13258-013-0138-9
· Paudel MR and B. Pant (2013). A reliable protocol for micropropagation of Esmeralda clarkei Rchb.f. a (Orchidaceae ). Asia Pacific Journal of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology Vol.21 (3):114-120.
· Adhikari SR, B. Pant, K. Pokhrel (2013). Antimicrobial activity of chemical compounds from in vivo roots and in vitro callus of Withania somnifera (L.) Dunal. Biomedicine and Biotechnology, 1:(2)21-26.
· Adhikari S.R. and Pant B. (2013). Induction and Proliferation of in vitro mass of Callus in Withania somnifera (L.) Dunal. Research in Plant Science, 1:(3)58-61.
· Pant B.(2013). Medicinal orchids and their uses: Tissue culture a potential alternative for conservation. African Journal of Plant Science, 7(10): 448-467.
· Paudel S, S R Adhikari and B. Pant (2013). Effect of Colchicine on production of secondary metabolites from callus of Withania somnifera (l.) Dunal Journal of Nepal Biotechnology Associatin.3 (1):15-18.
· Pradhan S., Y. P. Paudel and B. Pant (2013). Efficient regeneration of plants from shoot tip explants of Dendrobium densiflorum Lindl., a medicinal orchid African Journal of Biotechnology 12(12) : 1378-1383.
· Paudel M. R., S. Pradhan and B. Pant (2012). In vitro seed germination and seedling development of Esmeralda clarkei Rchb.f. (Orchidaceae). Plant Tissue Cult. & Biotech. 22(2): 107-111.
· Poudel MR and B. Pant. (2012. In vitro plant regeneration of Esmeralda clarkei Rchb f. via protocorm explants. African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 11(54), pp. 11704-11708.
· Pant B. and D. Thapa (2012). In vitro mass propagation of an epiphytic orchid, Dendrobium primulinum Lindl. through shoot tip culture. African Journal of Biotechnology 11(42), pp. 9970-9974, 24 May, 2012
· Shrestha U.K.and B. Pant (2012) Production of Bergenin, an active chemical in the callus of Bergenia ciliata (Haw.) Sternb. Botanica orientalis 8: 40-44.
· Pant B. (2011).Orchids of Nepal with their medicinal properties Orchidean Journal.18 (3) 92-98. 2-98. (Germany).
· Pant B. and S. Shrestha (2011). Mass propagation of ground orchid Phaius tancarvilleae (L’ Her) Blume. through shoot tip culture. Plant Tissue Cult and Biotec. 21(2) 181-188.
· Shukla D. D., N. Bhattarai, B. Pant. (2010) In-vitro mass propagation of Withania somnifera ( L.) Dunal. Nepal Journal of Science and Technology 11: 101-106.
· Pant B. A. Karanjeet. (2008). Micropropagation of Coelogyne cristata Lindl. The Journal of Orchid Society of India 22:1&2 45-48
· Pant B. Swar S. and R. Gurung, 2008. Current Status and ex situ conservation of threatened orchids of Nepal. In Proceedings 9th Asia Pacific Orchid Conference (APOC 9), 307-318 Seoul, Korea
· Adhikari D, and M Ranjeet. 2005. Elimination of potato viruses from potato ( L.) cultivars Multa and Petronese by meristem culture and thermotherapy. 2(1):6-9.
· and SD Joshi. 2004. Current status of biotechnology education in Nepal. , March 23- 26, 2004, Kathmandu. Vol. II. Pp. 1904-1909.
· Swar S and . 2004. Influence of growth regulators on asymbiotic seed germination and early seed development of D.Don. , March 23- 26, 2004, Kathmandu. Vol. I. Pp. 1039-1043.
· , Y Kato, T Kumagai, T Matsuoka and M Sugiyama. 1997. Blepharismin produced by Protozoan ,functions as an antibiotic effective against methicillin-resistant . 155: 67-71.
· Pant, B., H. Kohda and A. Namera. 1996. Clonal propagation of Cnidium officinale by shoot tip culture. Planta Medica. 62:281-283.
Pant B., M. Kohjyouma, S. Nakajima, M. Ozaki and H. Kohda. 1995. Induction and rapid propagation of
shoot primordia of Mentha arvensis L. var. piperascens by shoot tip culture. Natural medicines 49:(3),
Pant B and BB Raskoti (2013). Medicinal orchids of Nepal .http://www.nhbs.com/medicinal_orchids_of_nepal_tefno_189971.html
· Pant B and SK Ghimire. 2005. Abstract of MSc and PhD Dissertation. Central Department of Botany, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal
· Ex situ conservation and production of phytochemicals in some medicinal plants of Nepal. Guest speaker in April 9, 2014 Department of Life Sciences, University of North Texas, USA
· B Pant. Biotechnology work at Central Department of Botany, TU, Kirtipur, achievements and constrains. National Biotechnology Interaction workshop, 11-12, June 2013 , NARC, Khumaltar, Lalitpur (Invited Speaker
· B Pant. Ex situ conservation of Medicinal Orchids of Nepal The 11th Asia Pacific Orchid Conference and 27th Okinawa Orchid show 2-11, Februar 2013,Okinawa, Japan . (Invited Speaker
· B Pant. Production phytochemicals in culture some medicinal plants of Nepal. International Conference on Infectious Diseases and Nanomedicine (ISIDN-2012) Dec. 15 – 18, Kathmandu, Nepal. (Invited Speaker
· Biotechnological solution for global warming. International Conference on Biodiversity, Livelihood and Climate change in the Himalayas 12-14 December 2010, Kathmandu.
· Bijaya Pant , Sanu Devi Joshi . Ex situ conservation of the medicinal plants. National Conference of Science and technology, September 25-27, 2012, Kathmandu. (Invited speaker).
· Orchids of Nepal with medicinal values and their conservation by in vitro techniques. 20th World Orchid Conference: 13-16 November 2011, Singapore. (Invited speaker).
· In vitro seed germination and propagation of some Cymbidium species of Nepal. National conference on Orchids: science and society and orchid show organized by The orchid society of India jointly with Department of Botany, Bangalore university, Bangalore and the orchid society of Karnataka, Bangalore, India. April 10-12, 2008. (Invited speaker).
· Bijaya Pant. Orchid biotechnology in Nepal: The 4th Indian Subcontinent Regional Orchid Specialist Group Meeting and Orchid Show, Pokhara, Nepal. April 18- 22, (2003)
· Current status of tissue culture in Nepal
Upcoming paper presentation
"Artificial seed technology: An innovative approach to propagate orchids in mass scale" in International Association of Plant Biotechnology (IAPB 2014) Congress to be held from 10th -15th August, 2014, in Melbourne, Australia
· Propagation of some medicinal orchids of Nepal by tissue culture technique, (2011-2012), Project granted by Ministry of Science and technology, Government of Nepal.
medicinal orchids of Nepal and their In situ and Ex situ conservation by means of people participation in some selected community forests of Nepal, Project Supported by MSFP (2013-2014) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxmDP0rcXp8&feature=youtu.be
Member of the Editorial Committee of Botanical Orientalis, The Journal of plant Sciences
Member of the Editorial Committee of Journal of Nepal Biotechnology Association
Nepal Botanical Society
Nepal Biotechnology Association
Ecological Society of Nepal
Heritage Himalaya, Nepal
Japan University Student Association
Japanese Society for Plant Cell and Molecular Biology
Orchid Society of India